Thursday, 11 October 2012

Peeling Potatoes For A Living

I'm thirty-seven and live above a pub, in a very small, but well-equipped flat. The rent's cheap, because I work in the pub, where I spend my days peeling vegetables in the kitchen, occasionally working behind the bar, and doing other things for the landlord, Tom. The pub has got to be the best one in town, because it's always packed, especially at lunchtimes, and is perched on the edge of a cliff. I would like to say that my room overlooks the sea, but it doesn't, because it's at the back of the building, and all I can see is the backyard, which is full of overflowing dustbins, empty bottles, and plastic crates. It's a shit view, but it's better than having nothing at all to look at, which is what it would be like if I was homeless, and living under a cardboard roof in the middle of the nearby woods, with the immigrants.

Kevin, happy to live on the coast, in "The Londoners" - an Ebook by Luke Ryman.

No comments:

Post a Comment