Friday, 18 January 2013

He Just Can't Do It


 

It was time for me to go. It was time for me to return to the home I shared with my friend, and explain why I had failed to steal a single handbag. I knew that Tony would be furious, and that his eyes would bulge, and that he would insult me. I looked at the lady beside me, and saw that in the late afternoon gloom she had fallen asleep. Her wrinkled hands held firmly her beige handbag, inside of which I imagined was very little worth stealing. Perhaps there were a few coins in a purse, and maybe a banknote. There was possibly a packet of tissues, a small mirror, and a packet of peppermints.
 
I had stolen from a cripple, but there was no way that I would steal from a sleeping pensioner. Tony would have, if he had been with me. He would have grabbed the bag and run as fast as he could, whilst laughing about his latest achievement. In his sick mind there was no limit to what he would do, in order to pay for his next drink. Hate. Hate. Hate. That's all he did - morning, noon and night.

When I stood, the woman opened her eyes. She looked startled as my shadow came across her face. I smiled at her and told her to take care. She looked down at her hands and saw that her handbag was still there. She then smiled at me, as though to thank me for not robbing her of her fortune. I knew that after love comes hate, but just then I wanted to cry, and tell the woman about all the bad things I had done, and those things which remained undone.
 
Stealing from defenceless pensioners should be easy - BUT IT ISN'T!
Dave Cooper knows that he should be stronger than what he is, if he's to appease Tony Joy, and prove that he's now a hard-faced criminal.
Extract taken from "The Londoners 2 - After Love Comes Hate" by Luke Ryman, an Ebook for Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment